If you’re a woman and you’re not sure what fasting method to choose, we have our own method that fine-tuned according to the feedback and weight loss results from women.
This method which we call the IFasters Method is just an easy way of referring to the 5:2 Method with a period of ‘true fasting’ and seems to have the best results for women of all ages.
Note: This method is designed to be done after you’ve mastered the art of true fasting for 18-24 hours without any disordered eating habits or overeating afterwards. Please check your eating personality type first and if you need to, follow the weekly guide to build up your fasting time gradually.
So here’s what you do:
- Choose two fasting days that are not on two consecutive days.
- On your chosen fasting days, fast (no calories or very low calories such as a couple of cups of tea or coffee with light milk) for 18-24 hours.
- Try to fast as long as possible within your comfort zone.
- Work out your daily calorie needs using the calculator in the right hand column of this website.
- Then after your ‘true fast’ eat your allowed calories only (like the 5:2 Method).
- Then the next day you can eat normally (make sure you don’t over eat. if you do you might need to try this method with a shorter ‘true fasting’ time
If you need to start at 18 hours and build up to 24 hours over a couple of weeks that’s ok. Or if you can only bring yourself to fast for a max of 19 or 20 hours that’s ok too.
The longer you ‘true fast’ the better though, because the best fat burning magic is happening during your period of true fasting. The graph below shows how much fat we burn the longer we fast.
REMEMBER: You will probably only need to do this until you reach your goal weight/BMI and after that you can move to a maintenance plan that fits you best. Here are some examples:
- Drop your iFasters Method fasting days to one day per week.
- OR stop counting your calories after your fasts and just continue with one or two 24 hour fasts anywhere in the week and eat normally afterwards (if you trust yourself to not overdo it).
- OR continue with 2 x 25% calorie days but you can split the calories up anywhere in the day.
Here’s an example of a 24 hour fast (dinner time to dinner time) weekly schedule :